18 March 2010

Tibouchina in full flower

When I see a plant like this miniature tibouchina in full flower, I'm reminded I must acquire a better camera. (Or, you say, just become more skilful at taking pictures?) The colour of these purple flowers was much more intense in the early evening light than I was able to capture in either photo. Just about every bloom on the plant in the photo above aimed directly north, to drink in every bit of daylight.

The close-up shows flowers on a second plant, which went in at the same time a couple of years ago; these are more loosely distributed and the whole plant has a quite different growth pattern, probably thanks to the dappled shade from overhanging palm branches. In botany, as in real estate, what matters most? Position! Position! Position!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A good camera is a blessing!

About me

My photo
Journalist, editor, teacher, publishing manager, education consultant….but that’s all in the past. Even further back, I could add waitress, Five-and-Dime salesgirl and my favourite title: Girl Friday! All mixed in with wife, mother, caregiver and grandmother. But nowadays, based on time spent: gardener, cook, reader, writer and whatever!